Wednesday, April 30, 2008

28.5 Things You May or May Not Know About Me

Melissa tagged me.  In return, I'd like to tag:   Nanette N. (my sister in-law), NatSprat, Santa Claus and Oprah. (Whether or not they respond is purely optional.)

1. I wear a necklace with everything except my pajamas.

2. I read the Book of Mormon 3 times last year, and am finishing my first time this year, today.

3. I really like silicone scrapers.  I own six and wish I could fit more in my kitchen drawer.

4. I always wear an apron in the kitchen and have a whole drawer full of them.

5. Now that I have a TV in the kitchen (a Christmas gift from Rich... thanks!), I watch Rachel Ray every morning at ten.

6. I only wear mascara when I'm in a play, and when my children get married. (I wear brown/black washable waterproof.)

7. I own a Track Phone and am pleased as punch with everything about it but the way it's spelled.

8. I love to visit LDS Church historical sites and US History sites.  Ask Maria about her 16th birthday.

9. I can read text messages, but can't remember how to send them.

10. For every gift-giving occasion, when people ask me what I want, I reply, "socks, gum, pens and (Bic Mechanical) pencils."  And I really mean it.

11. The books I love to read most are non-fiction.  I have Julie Andrews' biography "Home" waiting for me at the library. I've come across a good novel, now and then, though. I had a hard time pulling myself away from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons.  And then Chrisanna gave me an illustrated copy of it.  YESS!

12. DADF#AD is my favorite guitar open tuning.  I have to own several guitars just so that I can leave some of them tuned standard (EADGBE) and some open.  I'll show you what I'm talking about at the Chatwin reunion.  If you saw the movie "August Rush", he played an open tuned guitar.

13. I don't like the word "module".  The word, "produce" as in vegetables & fruit, is a little iffy, too.

14. I love the latter part of July, because it's when school supplies appear in the store.  Read Melissa's #15.  She might have gotten that addiction from me.  I collect journals instead of thank-you notes, though.  I use the computer to write in my journal.  I mostly just admire the journals.

15. I home schooled Maria for two years.  She was a good sport, but said it ruined her social life during her 6th and 7th grade.  It didn't take her long to bounce back in popularity.  Everyone loves Maria!

16. I was PTA president for two years.  The second year I was also home schooling Maria.  I love the irony of it.

17. I taught Children's Theatre classes at Tuacahn before it became a charter high school.  Maria was one of my students.  Did you know I've gleaned a few of my characterizations in roles that I've played through the years from funny Maria mannerisms does when she's clowning around?

18. My song "Queen of the Casa" won an honorable mention in the Intermountain Song Writing competition.

19. I am an earth mother and used cloth diapers on my first four children.  I also won an environmental contest sponsored by Walmart when they were younger.  If there is any water left from a water pitcher, I always water a plant with it instead of pouring it down the drain.

20. Tyler taught me how to use the computer when he was 10.  Thanks, Ty.

21. Rich and I met at church held in the Jesse Knight Building at BYU, thirty-one years ago.

22. I converted from using Miracle Whip to using Mayonnaise when we married.

23. In high school, I was a Tigerette, a cheerleader, (Meg asks, "WHY, mom??"), senior class VP, and played Peter Pan in the non-musical, non-flying play. Some of the students were already high.

24. Also in high school, I won an acting award at a state competition. The wind blew the certificate out of my hands afterwards (forever) in the Denny's parking lot in Albuquerque.
  
25. I haven't driven a stick shift in 30 years and am not confident that I could do it today if I had to.

26. On my 11th birthday, I recorded a jingle for my dad's plumbing business that played on the radio.  That's how I remember the phone number of my childhood.  Ahhhh....

27. I grew up thinking the only way enchiladas were made was by stacking them like pancakes.  It's a really old northern New Mexico tradition.   
                                                                            
28. My mom taught me how to swim when I was five.

28.5  One of my mom's visiting teachers was named "Carolyn".  I was named after her.
 


3 comments:

The Mursets said...

Wow Mom. That's impressive. I don't remember Dad getting us a computer until I was in college. j/k. I can't even think of 5 thing about me. You can contribute to mine.

Natalie said...

oh man, I thought I was going to be forgotten. Thanks for remembering me. ;) I did great until I got to the jingle one and then I realized that you were talking about Grandpa and I had to regain composure there for a minute. I wish I could hear it, I'm sure he was just glowing with his "humble pride" while that would play on the radio!

The Yoder's Five said...

Mom, you are fabulous. But you forgot to mention that you like to try to sneak healthy ingredients into food and that you used to try to get away with making cinnamon rolls with WHOLE WHEAT DOUGH.

I must also give a shout-out to Cover Girl Remarkable mascara. I love it! And poor Maria--I don't think will ever get over the fact that she had to spend her 16th birthday in North Carolina/Virginia visiting Colonial Williamsburg.

As for #13, I don't like the word "moisture". It bugs me to no end when people pray for "moisture". Why don't they just say "rain"?? It's like they're praying for some lip balm or lotion or moisturizing shampoo. Or to have their turkey or banana bread turn out nice and moist.

I'm sorry your certificate blew away (#24). Hardship! It's like when me, Summer and Angie did that amazing performance of the three swans and then Kevin recorded over it.